About Amnesty International
“I can tell you – without exaggeration – that were it not for Amnesty International, its dedicated staff and members; I would not be talking to you tonight.”
- Maher Arar, Canadian citizen detained without trial and tortured in Syria in an address to Amnesty friends, 2008
Amnesty International is…
A worldwide movement of people dedicated to the protection and promotion of human rights. We are building a world in which every person enjoys the rights included in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and other international human rights standards. Towards this end:
- Amnesty International takes action to stop grave abuses of the rights to physical and mental integrity, freedom of conscience and expression, and freedom from discrimination.
- We campaign, for example, to free prisoners of conscience, protect refugees, abolish the death penalty, and end political killings, ‘disappearances’ and torture.
- Amnesty International seeks to expose human rights abuses accurately and quickly. We systematically and independently research the facts of individual cases and patterns of human rights abuses. These findings are publicized, and members, supporters and staff then mobilize persistent public pressure on governments, armed political groups, companies and others to prevent and stop these violations.
- Amnesty International promotes public awareness and understanding of the full range of human rights, and we work with a global community of organizations to ensure broad support and respect for all human rights.
- Amnesty International is governed by its members; we are independent of all governments, political persuasions and religious creeds. We are funded by our members and donors,
and no funds are sought or accepted from governments
“We all shine with our own small light; together we blaze like the sun.”